Materials (For a class of 30):
- Zero Population Growth�s (ZPG) �Population� video
- Student Personal Emissions Calculator with student�s personal emissions
- Population Growth Student Sheet
Time: 45 minutes
Standards Met: G1, G4, G5
- Ask students to get out their personal emissions wheel from the activity in Math. Explain that they will need this information for calculations at the end of this activity.
- Pass out Population Growth Student Sheet.
- Show the ZPG video.
- Pause the video to review where continents and countries are on the map.
- Pause the video to show population reduction and increase during major historical events.
- Using their student sheets, each student should calculate the emission increase in 2050 if every person has the same emission output as their personal emissions.
- Debrief with the class what the projections are and how this could impact climate.
Population Growth � Student Sheet
Name: ___________________________________________ Date: _______________________
1. What is the projected population for 2050? __________________
2. Calculate your average personal emission rate. Use the emission wheel you used in math class. Add the numbers for Home Heating, Electricity Use, Transportation and Waste Disposal and divide by 4. Show your work below.
Personal emission rate: lbs/year
3. If every person in 2050 has your same emission rate, what will the total emissions be?__________________
Show your work below.
1. How might this affect our climate? ____________________________________
Back to Top